Monday, June 15, 2009

War Stories in Photography



The other day I was thinking in a situation I had after a photo assignment with a client about the ownership, usages, copyright, etc. She wanted my RAWs. I said, politely, I can't do that and I saw a "don't understand" look on her face.
I've start surfing the net looking for some stories like mine and I've found a very intersting article. I'm going to post the part was similar to mine.

" War Stories
A few years ago, I had a client who informed me that he had never heard of usage rights prior to meeting me and that he simply bought all the images from the photo-grapher after the shoot was completed. From my point of view this was alarming! It gave me a strong indicator as to how some photographers make money and is cause for considerable concern since, they're not playing with the same set of rules I am.
In other words, some photographers shoot for a "consumer market" where images become the product that is sold like any other over-the-counter commodity. This is fine if this is what they choose to do for a living, I don't have a problem with this. I however, as commercial photographer work for publications where what is sold is a LICENSE to use my image(s) for a specific period of time. Apparently, these consumer based photographers have crossed this "boundary" by shooting commercial jobs for publication and pricing/selling them with a consumer-based price structure.

This practice destroys the legitimacy of commercial price structures in the photographic industry and it becomes a battle to negotiate with some clients under these conditions...

Author: Don Werthmann
Originally published: 20 January 1995
Updated: 15 February 2000"


2 comments:

Don Werthmann said...

Went trolling through my google hits this evening... What an honor to be quoted so accurately! This made my day... Thanks, Tommy...
Don

tommyspace said...

Thanks Don for your comment...by the way, you made mine when I found your article. It was perfect for what i was trying to explain!
Its very hard to educate people about rights.